The Last

We are moving in 3 days.

This huge project that we first started thinking about and planning for almost a year is thisclose to being over.  And man, have we been keeping busy.

For those who don’t know, I am about as close to a professional mover as one can get without buying a large truck and hiring some burly men to do the heavy lifting.  Since we have been married, we have moved 8 times.  On eight separate occasions I completely boxed up our “valuables”, threw away the crap, donated extra things we didn’t use, and organized it all into perfectly packed and labeled boxes.  I’ve spent way too much time trying to fit all said boxes and furniture into pick up trucks and U-haul’s, proving that the time spent playing Tetris when I was younger was not in vain, and that it did teach me valuable life skills.

When we got the word that Rob was being promoted to Managing Partner at Roy’s in Sarasota, we had two weeks notice…and I was 7 months pregnant with Evan.  That was the only move that ever really stressed me out, until I discovered that Roy’s was covering the cost for a moving company to pack and deliver all our items to our new house…I didn’t even need to lift a finger.  All I had to do was clean out our new empty house (which was not an easy job, but that is a story for another time) before the truck delivered our household items back to us.  Being so big and pregnant, unpacking all the professionally packed boxes was like nesting on crack…I had the whole house ready to go in less than a week!

For the sake of keeping this move as simple as possible, we decided to get rid of everything and make the journey with whatever meager possessions could fit in our car and the 4’x8′ trailer we will be towing.  It didn’t make sense to spend over $1,000 to rent a truck and bring all our stuff with us, when we barely spent that much to acquire all our furniture anyway (thanks Craigslist!)  Let alone how to figure out who would be driving what…one of us would drive a large box truck for two straight days while the other was stuck following the box truck with two unruly children?  I don’t think so!

So I started by listing some of our bigger items on Craigslist for sale, and loading up our garage with stuff for a monster yard sale.  Rob’s parents came up to take the kids off our hands, and I found myself with nothing to do and no children to watch for a few hours.  The yard sale was completely organized, the house was clean, the laundry was washed.  I decided to go for a walk up and down our street, lost in thought.  This was our area, the crazies and I.  All those days and evenings spent walking and biking up and down this street, and I trying really hard to get nostalgic.  After all, if I was going to have a mini- breakdown, this was the perfect opportunity…there’d be no witnesses!  So I strolled around, taking pictures of the little things we would see everyday.

photo 2 (2)

photo 1 (2)

The flowers outside the abandoned house across the street.  Every single time we would go outside, Logan would ask to run over and would pick one or two for me.

photo 4 (2)

The fake alligator in a neighbors front yard that Evan would growl at, and rip out of the pot.  Again, every. single. time.

photo 3The beautiful (but stinky) flowers Evan would rip off of the bush, then squish between his fingers, much to my chagrin.  It would take hours for the smell to wear off.

photo 1 (1)

The little walking path/shortcut to get to Logan’s school.  This spot was my favorite part of taking him to and from school.

Even after such an enjoyable and peaceful little walk, I still got nothing…no mushy feelings, no longings, no sadness over leaving this beautiful place.  If anything, the quiet walk helped me to mentally organize all the little (and huge) things that still had to be done.

First thing… our mega yard sale!

photo 5

After a very long and HOT morning, we were able to sell almost everything…leaving just a small stack of leftovers to donate, and two more items to sell on Craigslist.  And, surprisingly, I did have a sad, nostalgic moment.  A very sweet young mother purchased Logans bike for her son, and asked if we, by chance, still had the training wheels.  After digging through the garage for a minute, I found them, tucked behind some paint cans, and I felt my breath catch.  This was Logan’s bike…the bike he was SO excited to get that he woke Rob up at the crack of dawn to help him assemble it.


The bike that he first (and painstakingly) learned how to ride without training wheels.  The bike that carried him back and forth from school, through sun and rain.



Proud boy on his first day riding his "big boy" bike.
Proud boy on his first day riding his “big boy” bike.

He had grown out of it, complaining that his knees would sometimes hit the handle bars, that his helmet was too tight.  We had been planning on buying him a bigger bike this summer anyway.

But still…

She thanked me repeatedly for finding the training wheels, and as I watched her walk away with the bike, his bike, I had to excuse myself and take a couple minutes inside to gain some compose.  Proof that I am, in fact, human.

The yard sale was so successful, that we have resorted to using a twin air mattress as both our sofa and dining room table.  Classy, I know.

We have been so busy that sticking 100% to our plant based whole food diet has not been 100% successful.  I’m trying really hard to prepare foods from extras in our pantry, since space is limited in the trailer, so the less food I have to pack, the better.  Plus, who really feels like messing up a kitchen to prepare something like a lentil “meat”loaf when whipping together a smoothie like this one is SO easy?  (and delicious!)

photo 1photo 2

This smoothie (and variations of it) have become at least one meal every day.  With a base of unsweetened almond milk, spinach, vegan protein powder and banana, you can add almost anything else to it and it is AH-mazing!  I’ve added coconut, peanut butter, chia seeds, strawberry, and mango.  Slim fast has nothing on me 🙂

Tomorrow is my last day of packing and prepping, Thursday we pick up the trailer, and I have an appointment to get my (completely overdue) hair done.  We then will go to our last meeting at Bee Ridge congregation.  Friday is Rob’s last day of work at Roy’s, and after he gets off of work, we will finish packing the last of our things into the trailer.  We wake up, (if we are able to sleep at all that night) and put the hopefully still sleeping crazies in the car, and we drive.

That’s it…it’s over.

Till…Pennsylvania 🙂




One thought on “The Last

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s