Last Visits and a Final Fast

My husband is leaving me in eight days.  Not leaving me for real…just for a week to fly to Pennsylvania to look for a job.  It is a happy trip, because it means that our goal of moving up there is getting closer and closer, but after planning it for a year, we are only eight days away and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t freaking out a little…just a smidge.

It’s part being uncertain about our future and part stressed about being alone with the crazies for a whole week.  Logically, I know the things that are stressing me out are unrealistic fears.  The fear that Rob won’t be able to get a job (after looking in the past two days, Rob found over 40 jobs he is more than qualified for) the fear of not finding a place to rent (many acceptable places on Craigslist, plus we are not picky people) the fear of running out of money (been saving for a year for this) or Rob settling for a crappy job that he hates (we are moving to be closer to family so that his time OFF of work is more enjoyable.)  I know that everything will work out, but the fact that all the uncertainty is coming to a head in only EIGHT days…well, I’ve been a little wound up.

We had to make one last trip to Fort Lauderdale to visit family before making the big move, so we packed up the kids on Wednesday morning and drove through Alligator Alley to say our goodbyes.  We spent Wednesday night with Rob’s big sister, Brandi, and her daughter and husband, Taylor and Bill.  They recently bought a beautiful piece of land in Parkland FL, which Brandi has been busy renovating into a small horse ranch.  The boys were able to get up close and personal with horses, a large bearded dragon named Dazzle who was extremely long suffering (Evan kept trying to literally eat him), and their 11 month old mastiff “puppy” Bear.



It was a perfect evening spent outside on a gorgeous night.  The type of night that I look forward to having more of once we move to PA.


With the assistance of his cousin, Logan even climbed up a huge banyan tree.  He is a very cautious little boy, but also very determined, and I really got a kick out of watching him figure out how to climb higher on the tree.


The next day we had a lazy morning hanging out with Grandma Nancy, lunch at the Rainforest Cafe, followed by a quick visit to see my best friend before beginning the long drive home.  We stopped off in Naples, (about halfway home) to say hi to some friends and grab dinner at Roy’s.  Rob used to be the hospitality manager there, and wanted to tell his old manager face to face that he was leaving the company.

Before starting to eat dinner,I started to feel really sick to my stomach.  I skipped a lot of the food at Roy’s (since I could tell something bad was getting ready to happen) and drove home hoping to make it without any issues. I’ll spare you the gory details, just know that there was SOME type of food illness going on, and my body decided that the best way to deal with it was a full scale evacuation of all contents of my stomach, as quickly and violently as possible.  It took an entire 24 hours for everything to calm down long enough to let me resume walking longer than 5 minutes at a time, and I was completely spent.

Between the head cold/sinus infection and food poisoning I hadn’t been to the gym in over a week, and was trying to eat the plainest foods possible.  When Rob suggested that we do a final mini juice fast before moving, I wholeheartedly agreed.

Yesterday we started with a beet juice combination that was out of this world delicious.


2 beets (peeled)

1 1/2 pounds carrots

2 grapefruit

2 apples

huge handful of fresh mint

SO STINKIN GOOD!  Even Evan got in on this action, yelling at me until I filled his sippy cup with the gorgeous red juice, the little mooch.

I can’t tell you exactly what was in our green juice.  I lent my “Reboot with Joe” book out to a friend, and haven’t gotten it back yet, so Rob has been improvising our juices, with very good results.  Yesterday’s green juice was a combination of kale, apples, lemon, lime, celery, cucumber, fennel and watermelon.

Today I was wanting some orange juice, so our breakfast (and dessert) juice is:

3 oranges

1 pound carrots

3 inches ginger

2 apples

hunk of watermelon

Nom, nom, the ginger made this juice have a little of a kick and was a great, and spicy way to start our day.

Our green juice is another creation of Robs…very similar to the one he made yesterday, except without limes.


I’m hoping the juice will help to calm down my slightly tattered nerves, and put a more peaceful and calm perspective on the next few weeks.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m still CRAZY excited about all the changes happening this month.  Just have to remember to take one day at a time, and that it will all work out…right?

Till next time!


One thought on “Last Visits and a Final Fast

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s